An office space planning checklist is key to ensure you find the right space in the best location and get the best deal. It’s important to think through and understand your needs vs your wants in the beginning of your search process. Here are a variety of details you must consider as you make your new office space decision:
Your Existing Office Space
- What works and what doesn’t work?
- What do you like best about it?
- What do you not like?
- When does your lease expire?
- Can you sublet or assign if you need to?
- Can you buy out of your lease earlier if needed?
- Do you need an open layout or do you need a lot of offices?
- Conference rooms (if so how many people in a room??
Ideal Office Location
- Does it need to be close to public transportation?
- Walking distance to restaurants and entertainment?
- Have you done a zip code analysis to determine where the employees live
- Downtown vibe or sleepy suburb?
- Convenient for the company owner to commute to?
- Able to ride or bike to work?
Ideal Monthly Rent Budget
- What is the maximum you want to spend per month for rent?
- Make sure you compare each property apples to apples (e.g. is electric or janitorial included?)
Office Lease Term Length
- How long of a lease term do you need?
- Are you an established company or a startup?
- Are you a financial company with a high profile? If so you might need Class A or nice B space.
- Are you a startup or a nonprofit on a budget? You might consider Class C or B space.
- Need nice office finishes?
- Want the top floor of the building or will others do?
- Do you need street level visibility?
- Need signage?
- Need a building that is identifiable to make it easy for people to find you?
- How many employees do you have now?
- How many employees do you plan on having 3, 5, 7 years from now?
- Do you need the ability to expand?
- How many parking spaces will you and your employees need?
- A lot of buildings have parking ratios they must adhere to (3.4 to 4 spaces per 1000 sf you lease)
- Workout facilities
- Restaurants nearby
Office Lease Options
- First right of refusal (ROFR) on adjacent space
- First right of offer (ROFO) on space within the building
- Do you need a highly secure neighborhood or building?
- After hours card key access?
- Do you need fiber, T1, or is an integrated T1 or regular high speed interet ok?
- Do you need an air conditioned server room in your space?
- Does the building need redundant power?