It’s amazing how many people put so much effort into getting a job and then for whatever reason don’t put forth that same effort to keep it. Just because you made a good first impression does not mean that you can slack off on your second impressions.
Below are several mistakes to avoid after you have landed the job of your dreams:
- Showing up late. When starting a new job it’s important that you get to work on time and be fully prepared. Whether for training or starting your new role being late is NEVER OK.
- Not getting along with your boss or coworkers. It does not matter if you are doing a great job. If you are not getting along with your boss or coworkers you will be going down a lonely path. Keep working hard on your projects however you also want to work hard at getting along with others and being liked.
- Not following company dress code. Most companies have pretty relaxed dress codes however make sure you know that up front before walking into the office in shorts, tee-shirt and flip flops. If you ever want to climb the corporate ladder you have to dress appropriately.
- Gossiping. Your company may seem big however word gets around quickly. Keep your negative comments to yourself. Distance yourself from people who trash talk their coworkers, boss, or company. The same goes for gossiping via social media. Do not make negative comments on Facebook or Twitter, even if you hate your job.
- Hanging out with the same people every day. If you want to grow with the company you need to get to know who the key personnel are. Figure out the office politics and get to know more people than just the ones in the next cubicle.
Some of these mistakes are obvious however you would be surprised how many people make them every day. What you say, do, and how you respond to things will play an important role in the future of your success.