Since the 1980’s Apple Computer has been leading the way in how office space is designed. They realized back then that the workplace was more than a place for people to meet to achieve a common goal. The workplace is in fact a communication tool that must help Apple impact its culture, brand, and bottom line. In order to have a good impact on the company, the workforce, and their success in the industry Apple’s real estate and facilities team must continue to innovate.
So how do they do it?
- Before beginning the design and construction of the space they collect data
- They learn what departments/teams do, how they do it, and how they interact & communicate
- They interview staff from top to bottom
- They learn from the competition to see how they think about the workplace
- They collect data from furniture manufacturers research teams to understand trends and how those will affect the workplace
- They study and research workplace and organizational behavior from leading universities
Read the full article here: 5 lessons learned from Apple’s campus in 1990