3 Things to Check to Ensure Your Rental Property is Safe to Occupy

rental property safe from carbon monoxideWhether you rent a vacation rental property or rent a house zoned for office space use at the end of the day it’s your responsibility to ensure that it’s safe. Landlords that rent houses as office condos or vacation rentals are not typically responsible for the condition of the property. For example in many foreign countries carbon monoxide detectors are not required by law. You take the space “as is” and don’t even think about checking things that could cause injury or even death.

The moment you arrive at the rental property you need to check 3 things to ensure that you are safe from carbon monoxide poisoning or fire.

  1. Hot Water Heater – While it’s not possible to tell if a hot water heater is leaking, even if you stand right next to it, consider purchasing or traveling with a carbon monoxide detector and place it right outside the room that contains the heater and furnace. Hot water heaters are typically the common areas where you find carbon monoxide leaks. 
  2. Fire Extinguisher – Know where this is located and how to get to it quickly in the event there is an emergency.
  3. Know the Exits – Make sure you know where all the exits are to the rental property. Not just the front door. You need to make sure you locate all secondary exits and ensure that you will be able to find them in thick black smoke.

These 3 simple steps will ensure that you are danger free from carbon monoxide poising and fire.

Scroll to Top