When you are touring office spaces that you are considering leasing there are important questions and/or facts that you need to know however in the heat of the moment you forget to ask the landlord. Below is a list of questions and information that you need to know to help you compare and analyze each property.
Office Lease Rate and Other Expenses
- What is the asking rental rate?
- Is the rental rate quoted as a yearly or monthly rate?
- Who is responsible for electric and janitorial?
- Are there any other charges such as taxes, insurance, maintenance (aka NNN)?
- Based on the asking rental rate what will my TOTAL monthly rent be (including all other expenses)?
- What are ALL of the expenses that tenants are responsible for?
Office Space & Building Details
- Class of office building (A, B, or C)
- How many square feet (sf) is the building?
- How many square feet (sf) is the office space?
- What is the total usable vs rental sf for the office building and the actual space?
- Can the space be leased as is or will it need to me modified (e.g. build wall, knock down wall, etc..)?
- How long has the office space been vacant?
- Where in the building is the space located?
- How is the view from the space?
- Is there room for expansion?
- Is there a property manager onsite? If so what is there reputation?
- Is there handicap access to the building and space?
- How old is the HVAC unit?
- Is the landlord offering a tenant improvement allowance? If so how much?
- Does the landlord have a security system or service for the building?
- How does the landlord handle a tenant’s after hours HVAC needs and how much does it cost?
- What types of tenants are currently in the building?
- Are there any amenities (free or not) in the building such as fitness center, showers, conference room, deli, etc…?
- Is the office building for sale?
- What are the building hours of operation? When do the front doors lock down?
- How do the tenants access the building after hours?
Office Building Amenities
- Is there a security desk?
- Conference room
- Business services such as print, copy, fax, secretarial services
- Video conference room
- Common area break room
- Fitness Center
- Wireless internet service
Office Building Location
- Is it near a neighborhood?
- How close is it to a buss route or other public transportation?
- Are there any restaurants or other food and retail outlets within walking distance or close by?
- How far is the building from the airport?
- Are there any other amenities nearby?
- What is the crime rate in the area?
Parking for Employees and Guests
- What is the parking ratio for the office building
- Is there secure parking?
- Is there a parking fee? If so what is the cost?
- Is there public parking or other free parking nearby?
- Is covered parking available?