When leasing office space you typically work with a tenant representative who will ensure you find the right space, negotiate the best terms, and review the contract, recommend contractors, and overall ensure you make the best decisions possible.
However there are a few things you should do on your own before choosing your new office. Some of these are things you would never think of.
- Test your mobile phone signal in different parts of the space and the building. In this day and age everyone relies heavily on mobile phones and it sucks when you find out later that the reception is bad.
- View the parking lot at 3-4 different times of the day (morning, noon, night) to make sure there will be plenty of parking for you and your employees
- Visit the building during the same times to see how traffic is going to and from the building. Take different roads so you have a good idea of traffic patterns.
- Take the elevators during the morning , noon, and evening times also o see how long it takes to get to from your space to your car.
- Find out who all the other tenants in the building are o make sure there are no direct competitors or tenants that you don't want to be near.
- Get to know the property management team and how often and well they maintain the common areas. Find out if they have any common area improvements scheduled soon.
- Find out what internet service providers service the building. If you have a specific need such as fiber you want to make sure you can get the bandwidth you need.
These are just a few things to find out before signing an office lease. Finding these out when it's too late can cause you to have a bad experience. If you have any questions about this please don't hesitate to give us a call.