Far too often I see companies start searching for office space BEFORE they even have a clue as to what they need. Before wasting any time searching for office space it’s important that you think about how the office will be used. Finding the answers to some of these questions can help get you started.
Additionally it’s a good idea to sit down with a space planner or architect and let them guide you through a series of questions that will help you determine your current and future space needs. They will also help you figure out whether it makes sense to have an open office layout or an office with a lot of hard wall offices.
By the end of the process you should be able to know the answers to the following questions:
- How many square feet do you need?
- What type of space do you want to lease (e.g. office, flex space, etc.)?
- What area of Austin do you want to lease space?
- How many employees do you have now and will you have 3-5 years from now?
- What is your ideal office layout (e.g. # of offices, open area, break area, conference rooms, server room, etc..)?
- What class office building do you prefer (e.g. Class A, B, C office space)?
Once you have the answers to the questions above THEN you are ready to start your search for office space.