Back in the day Northwest Austin was considered in the boonies however as the Austin metro has grown it’s now kind of more centrally located. There did not used to be a lot of things to do in Northwest Austin however over the last 10 years a number of cool places have opened that give you, your kids, and/or your business associates places to go other than downtown Austin. I have highlighted a few things to do below however with a little research you can find a ton of other things to do in NW Austin as well.
Below Are a Few of My Favorite Things to Do in Northwest Austin
- Austin Aquarium – This 22,000 sf facility opened in 2013 to the public and has hours Sunday to Thursday from 10am to 7pm. It’s full of exotic birds, marine animals, reptiles, and thousands of other different species. They have over 8,000 animals from many different habitats which should keep most inspiring ocean explorers and conservationists busy. Your children can also feed sharks, tropical animals, stingrays, AND touch and feed the crocodiles.
- Arboretum Shopping – If you like to shop the Aboretum area has always been host to a number of shopping areas including REI, Trader Joes, and a number of other local and regional retail stores
- The Domain – The Domain is the new downtown Austin. Over the last few years it has morphed into a popular destination for local residents and visitors to work, play, live, eat, and have fun. Home to a number of local and regional retail stores and restaurants it is one of the most walkable destinations in Austin. There are hundreds of thousands of SF of office space for rent also which has attracted many top companies such as Home Away, Amazon, and Facebook. Also there are several major hotel chains such as The Westin and Aloft Austin. Pretty much once you get to the Domain you never have to leave as everything you need is right there. With plenty of apartments to rent, entertainment, and dining you don’t have to go anywhere else.
- HEB Center (formerly Cedar Park Center) – If you like hockey then check out a Texas Stars hockey game at the HEB Center. It’s actually located in Cedar Park but pretty much NW Austin. You can also watch the Austin Spurs basketball games and the Austin Acoustic football games.
- Lake Travis Zipline Adventures – If you like the lake checkout ziplining over Lake Travis. They have the longest zipline in Texas (over 2,800 feet) and they have 4 different ziplines to choose from starting at 250 ft. If you are looking for an epic experience this will be one of the most thrilling things you do.
- Lake Travis – Also Lake Travis is only about 5-10 miles from NW Austin so if you get bored consider renting a charter sail boat or jet ski and checkout the beautiful scenery all around the Lake Travis area
If you are looking for nonstop flights at the airport in East Austin click here.